The Future of Thought is a global multi-disciplinary research and development collaboration. Our mission is to improve the outlooks for human thought in the information age.
We are a network of individuals and organizations from different backgrounds and interests who have a shared interest in better understanding and improving the intersection of human cognition and emerging technologies.
FoT is born out of research of Pat Scannell, a technologist who set out to research the cumulative impact of technology on the human brain. Pat soon discovered the scope of the project not only required the crowd-source collaboration of a great number of stakeholders, but that specifically because of the complexity of the challenge, the opportunity space was not currently being addressed in a broad organized way by any other organization in the world.
The Consortium approach stems from an inaugural seminar Pat gave in January, 2017, in the Washington DC area, to a small diverse group of stakeholders from the fields of neuroscience, technology, medicine, national defense, public policy, and other interests. The FoT is a direct result of the momentum and feedback of that first seminar, and the April 2017 TED talk that was a result of the January seminar.
Since then, FoT has done talks at a number of venues and institutions, and has commenced several collaborations to launch the organization and its’ various planned platforms.
- Creating a common situation awareness or problem framework from which multiple disciplines can work
- Creating better public awareness of technological impacts on human thought
- Promote best practices – gather, develop and disseminate strategies for optimizing human machine teaming under different circumstances, or with respect to various desired outcomes
- Development of technology solutions and products to maximize value of human machine integration services
- Online collaborations/sharing
- Peer-review collaborations
- Physical conferences
- Virtual events (e.g. World Café™)
- Technology development
- Academics: e.g. neurosciences, humanities, technology, policy
- Clinicians: e.g. psychology, psychiatry, neurosciences, medical
- Coaching/Performance leaders
- Industry: e.g. technology firms, employers
- Policy groups
Future of Thought is in the early stages of formation, and is currently managed by a steering committee that will lead it through the organizational activities. The most likely form of this organization will be a Public Benefit Corporation.
Anca Selariu, Ph.D.
- Cheif Design Officer and Co-Founder – KM
- Design and technology advisor